Pages

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Sanae 3D

This is a small tool I wrote that serves three purposes:
  1. Provides a standard set of methods for parsing and exporting binary/text model files
  2. Provides easy methods for reading and writing binary files, making this an instructional tool for those interested in figuring out some model format.
  3. Instructional tool for myself
It uses a plugin based architecture where a theoretically arbitrary number of formats can be supported by simply writing a new plugin and putting it in the plugin folder.

The following classes are used throughout:
  • Model3D - arbitrary 3d model object that stores all of the information required to draw the model.
  • StructReader - provides methods for reading different types of values in binary
  • StructWriter - provides methods for writing different types of values in binary
Hopefully I have written them so they do not need to be changed dramatically, as every plugin relies on at least one of these classes, but things happen.

This is just a fun project so I put everything in a mediafire folder. You can find the link on the side panel.

There was several criticism regarding "re-inventing the wheel" but that is a non-issue. If I ever take on blender I would probably just write a set of scripts that will load the model from my Model3D object.

2 comments:

Blitz said...

how can I reach you?

Tsukihime said...

xentax.
There's a sanae3D thread in the tutorial section.

Post a Comment